interesting past 4 hours...

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sat Oct 15 13:17:20 PDT 2005

On Oct 15, 2005, at 12:35 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 12:06:30PM +0400, Andrew P. wrote:

>>>         I'll give xfce a try.  Again.  I  played with it months ago
>>>         but gave up on it after a few days.  Can I run all KDE-ware
>>>         and Gnome suites too?
>>>
>>>         Thanks for the pointers!
>>>
>>>         gary
>>>

>>> --
>>>    Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public
>>> service Unix

>> Many FreeBSD users came to love Fluxbox. It's
>> a windowmaker-based manager, very nice, very
>> lightweight. It's not an environment, so there are
>> no file managers, viewers, keyrings, etc. included.
>> But it has some support for both KDE and Gnome
>> programs, so you can easily install any Gnome-
>> based tool (it'll also install some parts of Gnome,
>> but not all of it). It has no conflicts with Gnome/
>> KDE, so you can install and see if you like it.
>>

>     You know, what I'd like my wm to be able to do is
>     set <whatever> app (say xload)
>
>     /usr/bin/nice -n -17 xload -g 50x90+0+0 &
>
>     so that I'll be able to nice it down to some low  value,
>     control the placing and size of the app, and so on.
>     I assume that Gnome/KDE (and their light versions)
>     have some ~user/.* XML files where things are tuned,
>     but grep  -r .* hasn't found anything ...
>     Is there/Where is the files that list the apps so that
>     I can set up things and season-to-my-tastes?
>
>     For me, functioality is more imortant than how "pretty"
>     things look.
>
>     gary
>
> --
>    Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public
> service Unix

     You should be able to accomplish that via fluxbox the best since
it lists all of the programs out in an XML file (I know I'm reaching
a bit since I haven't used fluxbox in a while), somewhere in
~/.fluxbox/[something].
     Also, you could setup aliases in ~/.bash_alias (see alias syntax
with man alias) for your more common programs; I know it's just
patching the problem, but it should do the trick.
-Garrett