interesting past 4 hours...

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sat Oct 15 12:35:31 PDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 12:06:30PM +0400, Andrew P. wrote:
> On 10/15/05, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:

> > > Did you mean to say with all eye-candy disabled?... Have you checked out XFCE?
> > >
> > > Intro to XFCE:
> > > http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=overview&lang=en
> > >
> > > Here are some flash based demos:
> > > http://www.xfce.org/various/flash_demos.html
> > >
> > > The XFCE meta port is in x11-wm/xfce4 and don't forget about all the
> > > plugins: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=XFCE&stype=all
> > >
> > > After you install the XFCE meta port type in rehash and then
> > > startxfce4, if you like it and want to keep it as your default desktop
> > > environment type in "echo "/usr/X11R6/bin/startxfce4" > ~/.xinitrc".
> > > the FreeBSD handbook as a bit about XFCE in section 5.7.4
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html
> > >
> > > I use KDE on my fast systems and XFCE on the slow ones.
> > >

> >         I'll give xfce a try.  Again.  I  played with it months ago
> >         but gave up on it after a few days.  Can I run all KDE-ware
> >         and Gnome suites too?
> >
> >         Thanks for the pointers!
> >
> >         gary
> >

> > --
> >    Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix

> Many FreeBSD users came to love Fluxbox. It's
> a windowmaker-based manager, very nice, very
> lightweight. It's not an environment, so there are
> no file managers, viewers, keyrings, etc. included.
> But it has some support for both KDE and Gnome
> programs, so you can easily install any Gnome-
> based tool (it'll also install some parts of Gnome,
> but not all of it). It has no conflicts with Gnome/
> KDE, so you can install and see if you like it.

	You know, what I'd like my wm to be able to do is
	set <whatever> app (say xload)

	/usr/bin/nice -n -17 xload -g 50x90+0+0 &

	so that I'll be able to nice it down to some low  value,
	control the placing and size of the app, and so on.
	I assume that Gnome/KDE (and their light versions)
	have some ~user/.* XML files where things are tuned,
	but grep  -r .* hasn't found anything ...
	Is there/Where is the files that list the apps so that
	I can set up things and season-to-my-tastes?

	For me, functioality is more imortant than how "pretty"
	things look.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix