portupgrade -ar (why?)

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Sat Oct 15 11:32:40 PDT 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Peter Matulis wrote:

> What is the use of specifying the 'r' switch when using the 'a'
> switch?
>
> # portupgrade -ar
>
> This says to upgrade all ports plus the ones that depend on all
> those ports.  Am I missing something?  Wouldn't "the ones that
> depend" be upgraded anyway?

Not necessarily. For instance: package P might use library L. A change
in L might alter the size and layout of structures exposed to P. The
source-level API of L is unchanged; the binary-level ABI is altered. So
whilst the source code of P might not have changed, it might (for
instance) be using a macro defined by a header in L that will look at
the wrong offset in the new structure. These kinds of ABI compatibility
problems can be fixed by recompilihng P.

Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/
Strive to live every day as though it was last Wednesday.