Gathering statistics on disk usage

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Sat Oct 15 08:47:27 PDT 2005

I am trying to set up mrtg to graph disk usage.  I've tried using the
output of iostat to provide me with usage in MB/s.  The problem with
this is that moving data from disk to disk on the system causes the
usage to jump to around 30MB/s.  Even with mrtg configured to draw
the graphs logarithmically they basically blow up and the normal
transfers are not really visable.  systat -vm gives statistics on
disk usage  with a percent busy field.  This stat would be easier to
graph and I would like to use it.  My problem is that I can't seem to
extract the output of systat properly.  I've tried doing systat -vm |
tail -n -1 and that doesn't work.  I've also tried systat -vm >
somefile.txt and that doesn't work.  There doesn't seem to be a way
to get systat to run once and then quit either.

Can anyone think of a way to either capture systat's output or
recommend a utility that will give me a % busy output?  I've tried
iostat without success.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel