promise sx6000 on 4.11-RELEASE-p12

sergey akifiev sergey at road.omskelecom.ru
Sat Oct 15 00:20:23 PDT 2005

i have installed promise sx6000 card on my FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE-p12 box. then
i have created raid5 array of 5x250GB WD hard drives.
in dmesg i see:
pstpci0: <Promise SuperTrak SX6000 ATA RAID controller> mem
0xdc000000-0xdfffffff irq 5 at device 3.1 on pci2
pst0: 953900MB <PROMISE TECH. I2O RAID DEVICE> [121605/255/63] on pstpci0
(i noted, that geometry, supplied by card's bios (56040/255/63),and what
freebsd kernel sees are differ)

and then weird things began.
when formatting a pst0e device i got numerous messages, like that:
pst: timeout mfa=0x002a3e10 cmd=WRITE

card beeps shortly, when theese messages appears. and after some messages,
array change status to CRITICAL and began rebuilding (card emits short beeps
in equal times).

also i've got damaged filesystem, when normally shutting down/rebooting
server.
i want to ask, is that normal?

PS if it is wrong place to ask such question, pls, redirect me to correct one.
PPS pardon my english :-)
--
WBFH: -error IL2: =SB=error
SGA16-RIPE