Hardware Support (USB)

Peter Clutton peterclutton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 21:56:30 PDT 2005

On 10/14/05, T3chn0Phr34k <t3chn0phr34k at gmail.com> wrote:
>My mouse is a USB mouse, optical from the Gateway
> house, well none of the drivers supports it I was wandering if its
> posible to configure the kernel before starting the installation,

Well everything doesn't need to be stopped because of it, unless you
have some special need, there is no necessity for the mouse to be
configured before installation. The installation does not require a
mouse.

What makes you think the mouse is not supported? Because you haven't
seen the name in the docs? Well this may not be a problem. I would
start the installation and attempt to have the system auto detect it
at the appropriate part of the installation, or run when you run xorg
-configure after installation. When booting option 8 may help - "Start
system with USB mouse" or some such.

Also if this is the "main server" you would probably find it a better
approach to not use a GUI, and thus a mouse at all. You can do
everything necessary for a server from CLI, at the console or through
SSH, or if you want a GUI system for controlling services, maybe
Webmin, which you can access across the network.

Hope that helps.