Help Understanding While Loop

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Fri Oct 14 14:50:56 PDT 2005

OK, I've been working on an sh script and I'm almost there.  In the
script, I created a 'while read' loop that is doing what I want.  Now I
want to keep track of how many times the loop executes.  Thus I included
this line between the 'while read' and 'done' statements:

count = $(( count + 1 ))

I've tested this by adding an 'echo $count' statement in the loop and it
increments by one each time the loop runs.  However when I attempt to
call $count in an 'echo' statement after the 'done', the variable is
null.  Thus I assume that $count is only local to the loop and I have to
export it to make it available outside the loop?  What must I do?

Thanks for your help,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse