problem with /dev/ttypX and samba

Julien Lirochon jlirochon at cyanide-studio.com
Fri Oct 14 08:54:51 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to configure unix passwd sync on samba. Unfortunately, when
it tries to launch my script, samba complains that it can't open any ttyp.

Looking at the code implied, I see that samba lists all files matching
"/dev/ttyp*" and tries to open them in a while loop.

The problem is that there is no persistant /dev/ttyp* on my server. When
I connect via ssh, a /dev/ttyp0 appears, and it disappears when I
disconnect. That's why samba fails to find an available ttyp... ( I
already verified that ttyp's are not hidden in devfs rules )

How could I make my ttyp's available for samba ?

I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE

thx,
Julien