dvdauthor on 5.4

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Thu Oct 13 22:53:06 PDT 2005

Dave wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to make a dvd video under 5.4 on an i386 system. When i give
> the command:
> dvdauthor -o outputdir -t filename.mpg
> i get a core dump. This has happened twice and i'm hoping it is not a
> sign of failing memory as this box has expensive ram.
>    Basically i'm trying to make a dvd video out of two files, one video
> being an .avi file the other an .mpg file, neither is working.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

You might try "man dvdauthor" or Google for dvdauthor documentation. The
function of dvdauthor is to take MPEG-2 PS files and turn them into a
format that you can write to a DVD. This means that you can't use AVI
files with dvdauthor. You must first convert those avi's to the proper
MPEG-2 PS format. For this I use a GUI tool on my desktop machine called
Avidemux. You could also use ffmpeg or mencoder though.

Once you have it in MPEG-2 PS, THEN you use dvdauthor to make the DVD
video files. An example command would be:

% dvdauthor -f filename.mpg -o DVD -t

I don't think this core dumping has to do with RAM. I think the program
is just crashing when you give it invalid input files. If you do get
proper MPEG-2 files into dvdauthor and it still dumps like that, I would
contact the dvdauthor people and help them debug it. I run dvdauthor on
5.4 (amd64) without any problems.

-Mark