newbie ports question

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 22:52:52 PDT 2005

On 10/14/05, makisupa <bsd.makisupa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> What good will portupgrade it do here?  Obviously I must not
> properly understand what its doing...but in the error message I
> have a newer version of the dependency than the port calls for
> and the port misidentifies this.  If there was a newer port of
> say 'pan' that had newer dependencies .. ie. the one's i already
> have than i'd be golden.  But why wouldn't cvsup'ing take care
> of that?  Like i said...you're dealing with a newb here.  I am
> obviously missunderstanding something...

You'll want to look through ports manpage. It only takes
a minute to read, but saves you a lifetime of questions.

As I understand, you're dealing with "kind of" bug in
glib20 port. You might be lucky enough so that
portupgrade will get over it - and fix everything.

By the way, did you update the INDEX files in
/usr/ports? Run portsdb -uUF to fetch and install a
fresh index. Do it every time after cvsupping your
ports tree.

For now, try:

# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
# make install
<If it fails, post the errors here, please>
# cvsup -g -L 2 <your-ports-supfile>
# portsdb -uUF
# portversion -l\<
<Show's what's outdated>