Strange problem with MacOS 9 and isc-dhcpd

Kris Anderson ciscoaix at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 20:50:13 PDT 2005

Grrr, darn Google, sorry for the top posting.

Check is out and read about the dhcp bug and see if it affects you.
http://www.macwindows.com/MacOS9.html

"J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet at comcast.net> wrote:

I realize this is probably not really a FreeBSD question, but I was hoping
someone had seen this before.

I am running isc-dhcpd 3.0.1.r14_6 on a FreeBSD 4.11-REL machine. This box
also serves as the primary gateway router and firewall (and general "network
services" machine).

All of my *nix and Windows machines get IP's just fine from the DHCP server,
but for some reason, my G3 Mac running Mac OS 9.2.2 won't get its reserved
address.

Although I use DHCP, I have assigned each machine (MAC address) a fixed IP &
DNS entry. The DHCP server is to simplify maintenance. So, for example, the
file server uses DHCP, but is always mapped to 192.168.1.2. The Mac,
however, is either refused, or refuses to take its preset address, and ends
up obtaining one in the "guest" pool.

I can upgrade to Mac OS X.2, but have been hesitant, as this is an older
machine with only built-in video. I also hate to sink any more money into
such an old system. I could just statically map the address, but that would
defeat the purpose of the DHCP server - which was to avoid hardcoding
network settings.

Is there a way to sweet talk either the DHCP server, or the Mac, into taking
the reserved address?