newbie ports question

Gregory Nou gregorynou at altern.org
Thu Oct 13 16:03:18 PDT 2005

Andrew P. wrote:
> On 10/13/05, makisupa <bsd.makisupa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>I seem to be getting myself in trouble repeatedly...I'm sure someone can
>>help...
>>
>>Fresh install of 6.0 RC1, gnome 2.12 from marcus's tb, freshly cvsupped
>>ports.  I need to install some little apps like gaim and pan.  when
>>running 'make install clean' for these ports i'll get a message that the
>>correct version of port X is not installed.  Problem is make says i need
>>a newer version but the version numbers indicate i've got a newer
>>version than what its looking for.  Then a little part about
>>'FORCE_PACKAGE_REGISTER.'  There is an example of this below this
>>message.  If i use this it will install the older version of the
>>dependencies or at least register them.  I say this on the last system
>>that i hosed...2 copies of the same package would be registered.  Not
>>good. How should i *properly* install these ports?  As in what's not
>>going to get me in trouble?
>>

>>===>  Installing for glib-2.6.6
>>===>   glib-2.6.6 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.7 - found
>>===>   glib-2.6.6 depends on executable: pkg-config - found
>>===>   glib-2.6.6 depends on shared library: intl - found
>>===>   Generating temporary packing list
>>===>  Checking if devel/glib20 already installed
>>===>   An older version of devel/glib20 is already installed
>>(glib-2.8.3)
>>      You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
>>      by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
>>      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of devel/glib20
>>      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
>>      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
>>*** Error code 1
>>
>>Stop in /usr/ports/devel/glib20.
>>*** Error code 1
>>
>>Stop in /usr/ports/accessibility/atk.
>>*** Error code 1
>>
>>Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/gtkspell2.
>>*** Error code 1
>>
>>Stop in /usr/ports/net/gaim.
>>

>>Thanks for the help.  Loving my BSD laptop so far...just straightening
>>some things out.
>>
>>/mak.

> I'd start with installing portupgrade, and trying to
> portupgrade -arR. I'm sure there's another solution,
> though.

I would suggest installing every port with :
portinstall -vRP directory_of_the_port/name_of_the_port

e.g. portinstall -vRP net/gaim

That will update all needed ports when necessary, fetching a precompiled
version, or if not possible, downloading and compiling it from source.
As I like verbosity, I put the -v.

Hope it helps,

--
Gregory