Upgrading to freebsd 5.4 STABLE from 5.3 kernel panic, what do i do to get data back?

Alex alex.voicu at bredband.net
Thu Oct 13 14:12:24 PDT 2005

Hello list!

I have been successfully been running 5.3 for a couple of weeks when i
decided i should upgrade to 5.4 stable. Now the make world went fine
except mergemaster complaining it couldn't find usr/src/etc or something
similar. I made make buildkernel wich also went fine. But when I booted
into my upgraded system I got kernel panic, so I made another restart
and this time it went ok.

Yestoday I removed SCSI card and DAT tape and NIC so I can have them in
my main server.

Now i cant get past this:

freebsd 5.4-stable

kernel trap 12 with interupts disabled

fault virtual address = 0x9
fault code = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8 :0xc077c073
stack pointer = 0x10 :0xc0c20d00
frame pointer = 0x10 :0xc0c20d0c
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = resume, IOPL = 0
current process = 0 ()
trap number = 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 1s

So my attack-plan is to reinstall system from scratch and never do make
buildworld & make buildkernel again, BUT, I have a whole lot of
information remaining on both disks that are in right now. From what I
could see in the installer, fbsd installer wont let me "install in a
different directory with filesystem still intact" like windows
does....or does it?

UPDATE:

I have now done what has been advised, to do boot kernel.old at the boot
loader prompt, and I get the same error...running out of options here...
:/

Please help! :)

// Alex