newbie ports question

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Thu Oct 13 11:21:14 PDT 2005

Andrew P. writes:

>  > ===>  Installing for glib-2.6.6
>  > ===>   glib-2.6.6 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.7 - found
>  > ===>   glib-2.6.6 depends on executable: pkg-config - found
>  > ===>   glib-2.6.6 depends on shared library: intl - found
>  > ===>   Generating temporary packing list
>  > ===>  Checking if devel/glib20 already installed
>  > ===>   An older version of devel/glib20 is already installed
>  > (glib-2.8.3)
>  >       You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
>  >       by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
>  >       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of devel/glib20
>  >       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
>  >       in your environment or the "make install" command line.
>
>  I'd start with installing portupgrade, and trying to
>  portupgrade -arR. I'm sure there's another solution,
>  though.

	Installing (and using) portupgrade is a good idea;
unfortunately, it will not stop you from getting bit by this problem
occasionally.
	My quick fix:

	pd /usr/ports/devel/glib20
	make deinstall
	make install
	<assuming in stall finished correctly> make distclean
	popd

	(Assumes *csh as the shell.)

				Robert Huff