freebsd has problems with bios

Kamal R. Prasad kamalp at acm.org
Thu Oct 13 08:45:05 PDT 2005

The motherboard is from "American Megatrends Corp" and it runs Award
Bios.
I am pasting below info from dmesg below:-
----------------------
CPU: AMD Athalon(tm) XP(1468.47-Mhz 686 class CPU)
    Origin = "AuthenticAMD" Id = 0x662 Stepping = 2
    Features -0x383f9ff<FPu,VME,DE,PSE,F\PSE,TSC
,MSR,PAE,MCE,CXU,SEP,MTER,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMx,FXSR,SSE>
   AMD Features=0xc0480800<SYSCALL,MP,MMX+,3DNoq+,3DNow>
..
npx0:[FAST]
npx0: <math coprocessor> on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
acpi0: <VIA694 AWRDACPI> on motherboard
ata0: <ATA channel0> on atapci0
ata1: <ATA Channel 1> on ataci0
ad0: <Samsung SP1604N TM100-30> at ata0-master UDMA100
acd0: dvd r drive at ata0-slave UDMA33
ad2: 39083MB <Maxtor 4D040H2 DAH017K0> at ata1-master UDMA100
ad0: WARTNING -READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=63
..
ad0: FAILURE -READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
error=84<ICRC,ABORTED> LBA=63
ad2: WARTNING -READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=63
..
ad2: FAILURE -READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=84<ICRC,ABORTED>
---------------------
sector 63 is where the first partition starts.
Both discs work perfectly in windows XP  and the -and if there was a
cable/hw [roblem it would have shown during their functioning under
windows xp.

pl. let me know if you need any more info from the system.

thanks
-kamal

On 13-Oct-05, at 3:54 PM, Andrew P. wrote:

> On 10/13/05, Kamal R. Prasad <kamalp at acm.org> wrote:
>
>> I was replying to both you and Andrew R. Andrew mentioned the hw may
>> be unstable.
>> I did enter the same values provided by BIOS -but it doesn't solve
>> the problem.
>> Most likely, the bios on my motherboard is not compaible with
>> freebsd.
>>
>> regards
>> -kamal
>>

> In fact FreeBSD bypasses BIOS and interacts directly
> with a disk controller. Could you tell us the exact vendor
> and make of your motherboard. It's an interesting case.
>

> Thanks,
> Andrew P.

Kamal R. Prasad
UNIX systems consultant