unable to do su from user to become super user

Damon Blom surferdamon at adelphia.net
Wed Oct 12 22:07:46 PDT 2005

On Monday 10 October 2005 03:21 pm, you wrote:
> Damon Blom wrote:
> >Hi
> >FreeBSD presario.com 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #7: Sun Oct  9
> > 22:44:53 PDT 2005     root at presario.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL
> > amd64 I cannot go from user to super user.
> >  su: error while loading shared libraries: libpam.so.0: cannot open
> > shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> In contrast to what others have just posted, I don't think
> adding yourself to the wheel group will help much with this.
>
> > system boots fine multiuser and I can login as root no problem. I just
> > can't login as user and become root with su
> >    still a newbie.
> >      Thank's so much
> >           Damon
>
> If that last is true ("still a newbie"), then why on God's Green
> Earth are you running 7.0-CURRENT?
>
> When you run -CURRENT, you're generally expected to be
> able to deal with most issues like this yourself, at least in
> some limited way....
>
> Did you read /src/UPDATING, for starters?
>
> Please note:  I'm not trying to flame you.  But I wonder
> if you're in over your head.  I don't run -CURRENT, myself,
> but this is the sort of thing that sounds like you did something
> without meaning to....
>
> Kevin Kinsey
 Hi
    My error! Error in path:
set path =
(/sbin /bin /usr/sbin  /usr/games /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/bin /usr/X11R6/bin
$HOME/bin)

   I've been with -CURRENT for years at home and have had no real problems.
  Unix has always been a part of me since I took Ken Thompson's OS class
at Berkeley in 1976.
  Thank's for the reply.
            Damon
      Sorry to have wasted your time.