freebsd has problems with bios

Kamal R. Prasad kamalp at acm.org
Wed Oct 12 21:58:15 PDT 2005

I have verified integrity of the hard disk and this problem shows up
on a new samsung 1604N hard disk too. It is a hard disk independet
problem.

On 13-Oct-05, at 5:49 AM, Peter Clutton wrote:

>> For some reason, the values of hard disk geometry (cylinders/head/
>> sectors( are not accrptable to fdisk and when i agree to using
>> freebsd 's idea of disk geometryt, during sysinstall -I get an
>> error:-0
>> UDMA_100 error:READWRITE Failure ICRC error.
>>

> Usually fdsisk asks you to check what the bios reports as the CHS
> and enter that
> manually, using the g option i believe. Have you tried this?

The bios has 4 modes auto, large, lba, chs in which to access the
hard disk. I ttried all 4 modes and it  doesn't solve the problem.
> However as stated above, and looking at those errors, this may be a
> hardware problem.

The hardware is stable and I expect any hard disk to give the same
error essentially because the interaction between bios and freebsd is
the cause of the problem.

regards
-kamal

Kamal R. Prasad