Mysql server not able to stay running on anything but Linux?

NMH drumslayer2 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 13:16:24 PDT 2005

 Hi
  I am stuck with a delema and I feel like a damn
troll. But.. I have a Mysql Database that I posted
about earlier. It seems that it is only able to not
die by running on BSD 4.11 with Linux Threads. My boss
is convinced this means that Linux is better for MySQL
and wants that installed now.
 We even got a support contact from Mysql that so far
has gotten us nothing for almost a month while our
production database server died up to 3 times a day.
(and lots of we're looking into it's)

 We were running fine but a little slow on FreeBSD
5.1-P11 and MySQL 4.0.18.(apperantly before a big Lib
change) We had to move quicker than we wanted to a new
server running FreeBSD 5.4 and MySQL 4.11 (becouse of
a dual HD death) Under production load the new 5.4
server fell over regulary. It has only now become
stable by wiping it and running it on FreeBSD 4.11
with Linux Threads. (it regularly has over 400+
threads)
 MySQL hinted to us that for better support we should
move to Linux since that is what they develop on and
would somehow better help them solve the problem.

 I really don't want to run Linux! We have been a
FreeBSD only shop for some time and I find it amazing
that 5.4 BSD can't support Mysql under a heavy 400+
thread load without Mysql falling over itself and
dying.
 I want to try FreeBSD 5.4 AMD64 (the machines are
Opteron) or 6.0 but my boss feels that would be a
waste given that MYSQL doesn't support Mysql on AMD64
well enough. Also that given their hints that for the
"best" support we should move our database to Linux to
help solve this issue and that so far it has only run
with any stability using Linux Threads, So why not
just run Linux. That should be even better.

  Can anyone help or offer assistance to help track
this down? Perhaps also any annecdotes or examples I
can show my boss that other people have as busy MYSQL
databases on BSD 5.X. We paid 3K to Mysql for help and
so far they have been unable to offer any clues as to
why ours will not stay stable on anything but Linux
threads. I feel really sad that so far no one has
responded to my posts and it feels like a victory for
linux.
 As I say I only manage the server, I don't program
the databases. Is there anything I should/could look
for database wise that could trigger such things?

 The biggest problem with all this is that we have not
been able to replicate it. The Mysql Server on 5.4
only dies when under production load. Nothing we or
Mysql have been able to simulate seems to have the
same effect. Any idea why this could be as well? Not
enough randomness?

 Please help me keep a Freebsd only shop that way.

 Thanks!

  NMH

The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away
 -- Anon