Two soundcards for two independent sound programs?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 07:11:50 PDT 2005

--- Roshan <rbhurtha at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/12/05, Rob <spamrefuse at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > --- Roshan <rbhurtha at gmail.com> wrote:

> configure
> music
> station

> it?
> > >
> > > Indeed, It is possible. You just have to
> configure
> > > your media playing
> > > software to use your preferred sound device.
> > >
> > > e.g:
> > > # mpg123 -a /dev/a   song.mp3
> > >
> > > TO see what sound devices you have do:
> > > #cat  /dev/sndstat
> > >
> > > You can also set your preferred sound device in
> xmms
> > > or mplayer.
> >
> > Thanks, but...
> > I have plugged two ISA sound cards into the
> > motherboard, they need respectively snd_sb16 and
> > snd_ess modules.
> >
> > When I play with the 'kldload/kldunload' to switch
> > between the cards, or to have them both loaded,
> > then my system spontaneously reboots.
> >
> > Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, or how to control
> > this problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rob.
> >
> I would try to build them in the kernel and see what
> happens.
> Maybe this is a resource/IRQ  problem ?
> You can try to tweak the parameters of the cards and
> see.

Great, got it sort of working now.
Just for the record, this is what I got:

I have 4 soundcards here:
 two Creative Soundblasters, PCI and ISA,
 an ESS ISA and an ESS-1 Solo PCI

Many pairs of these did not work together.
What did work, was:
 1. Creative Soundblaster ISA (snd_sb16)
 2. ESS-1 solo PCI card (snd_solo)

In xmms/mplayer etc. I can control like this
for (1):
  /dev/dsp0.0
  /dev/mixer0
for (2):
  /dev/dsp1.0
  /dev/mixer1

# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.16 (ViBRA16X)> at io 0x220 irq 7
   drq 0 bufsz 4096d kld snd_sb16 (1p/1r/0v channels
   duplex default)
pcm1: <ESS Solo-1 (unknown vendor)> at io 0xc800,
   0xcc00,0xd000 irq 11 kld snd_solo (1p/1r/0v
   channels duplex)

Only little problem, that irq 11 is also used by
uhci0, which controls the USB ports. Now, since
I'm not using USB on this PC, this is not a real
problem. However, for USB users....

Thanks for your help.
Rob.