CDROM Unknown Transfer Error crashes system

Wayne Witzke wwitzke at sstire.com
Wed Oct 12 06:48:47 PDT 2005

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Don't top-post, please.
>
> Wayne Witzke <wwitzke at sstire.com> writes:
>

>>Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>>>You could talk to the main ATA developer (sos at freebsd.org), but he
>>>will almost certainly want to know what happens with more recent
>>>code.  Can you try updating your system?
>>>

>>Thank you for your reply!
>>
>>Are you talking about upgrading to the 6.0-BETA?  Is it a fairly
>>transparent process, or is it going to require a lot of reconfiguring
>>and reinstalling?  I'm not sure I have time to update if that's the
>>case.  I'm working under a deadline at the moment.
>

> RELENG_5 would be an improvement.  It's not necessary, but developers
> find it much easier to debug recent code than older versions.

I'm a little confused...  I thought I had RELENG_5_4.  "uname -a" says:

FreeBSD wlaptop 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #1: Thu Oct  6 21:18:29
EDT 2005
      root at wlaptop:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WLAPTOP  i386

Isn't this RELENG_5_4?

>>Is there anything that I can do to capture more information the next
>>time my computer reboots spontaneously?
>

> Try to get a crash dump.  There's more information on it in the
> Handbook.  And some related information on panic analysis (if you can
> get it to that point) in the FAQ.

I'll try that, it doens't sound too difficult.  Just so I know, if I was
going to see a kernel panic message, I'd be seeing one before the
computer reboots, right?

Thank you again!

Wayne