How to properly set-up multiple NICs?

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 06:37:57 PDT 2005

On 10/12/05, Olaf Greve <o.greve at axis.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a short and surely straightforward question: I want to set-up two
> NICs on two of my FBSD 5.x servers. Each server will have a dedicated
> NIC for all "outside world" traffic, and between the two machines I want
> to set-up a 192.168.1.x local network via a cross-wire cable, dedicated
> to local syncing of both machines.
>
> I am assuming the proper way to do this is to simply (using sysinstall)
> configure one NIC with the real live IP address, gateway, mask setting
> etc., hooked up to the outside world, and the other one with a
> 192.168.1.x IP address, directly connected to the other machine's
> similarly (though with a different IP address, of course) configured
> 192.168.1.y IP address over a cross-wire.
>
> Correct, or am I missing something?
>
> Also: when not using sysinstall: is /etc/rc.conf the only location where
> such settings need to be made, or are there other files as well that
> need to be manipulated for multiple NICs?
>
> Note: Normally I would simply test this myself and make it work, but
> tomorrow I'll have to add my new second server to the production
> environment and my current live machine is one of the two machines that
> need to be reconfigured. As I'll have preciously little time allocated
> for the installation, I want to get as much anticipated in advance as
> possible...
>
> Cheers, and tnx for any and all replies!
> Olafo

I don't think you've missed anything. In /etc/rc.conf
you can add something like:
ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.17.1 netmask 0xffffff00"
ifconfig_lo0_alias0="inet 172.17.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff"
ifconfig_vge0="dhcp"
...to give you the general idea. It's enough to bring
the NICs up and running, but then consider DNS
and other issues that provide for a networking
environment.

Good luck,
Andrew P.