Moving down from amd64 to i386 ??

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Wed Oct 12 06:19:04 PDT 2005

Hi,

> We are having troubles with MySQL 4.1 on a amd64 (it's crashing randomly
> with Seg fault, signal 11. gdb bt says: Cannot access memory at address
> 0x800000000000). We have got information saying this is a 64bit related
> issue and should be fixed by using the i386 version instead of amd64
> (this is an Intel Xeon).

Just an observation, but that address translates to 2^47 =
140,737,488,355,328 which sounds to me like a very high address... Now,
I'm not certain if FBSD uses memory mapped I/O with numbers this high
(granted, 64 bits allows for 2^64 addressable memory positions...), but
if that is indeed the case, if push really comes to shove you could try
figuring out just what is being accessed at that position (RAM? HD?).
Once you know that, you could check if perhaps that part is broken.
Errors like these do sound to me somewhat like a memory error when
accessing that particular address (does it also mention other
addresses?), but then, I'm no expert, so maybe somethig entirely
different is going on.

Cheers!
Olafo