'Critical' Warining When Closing Gnome2

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Oct 12 05:42:58 PDT 2005

Don't top-post, please.

Lawrence Petrykanyn <lawrence.petrykanyn at sympatico.ca> writes:

>     I have two issues that I would gratefully appreciate some insight
> into and I think that they may be related.  First, I get error
> messages when I shut down Gnome2.  Second, portupgrade skips the
> upgrade for Gnome2 (I think because Mozilla fails).

If you're not sure, then don't do "portupgrade -a".  Do a separate
portupgrade on Gnome, with maybe the -R flag as well.  Then you won't
be confusing unrelated problems with each other.

>     Here is what I can read on my screen after I shutdown Gnome2:
>
> (nautilus: 22504): Eel-CRITICAL **: preferences_entry_remove_callback:
> assertion 'entry -> callback-list !=NULL' failed
> ** (nautilus: 22311): WARNING**: destroyed file still being monitored
> ** (nautilus: 22311): WARNING**: destroyed file still being monitored
> ** (nautilus: 22311): WARNING**: destroyed file still being monitored
> ** (nautilus: 22311): WARNING**: destroyed file still being monitored
> ---Hash table keys for warning below:
> -->file:///home/greg/Desktop
> (nautilus: 22311): Eel-WARNING**: "nautilus-metafile.c:metafiles" hash
> table still has 1 element at quit time (keys above)
> ---Hash table keys for warning below:
> -->file:///home/greg/Desktop
> (nautilus: 22311): Eel-WARNING**: "nautilus-directory.c: directories"
> hash table still has 1 element at quit time (keys above)
>
> waiting for X server to shutdown FreeFontPath:FPE
> "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing
>
>     I've had the above messages for months.

I don't know Gnome, can't comment on that specifically.

>     As to the portupgrade, (and again, I mention this only because it
> may be related), I do a cvsup on both my source and ports every time
> before I do a portupgrade.  Here are the error messages that I receive
> (as much as I can read on the screen):

So use script(1) and get the information you actually need.

>     I would gladly deinstall Mozilla as I have installed Firefox as
> well.  But I need Mozilla's mail services as I had a lot of troulble
> with Evolution and uninstalled it.  As well, I would deinstall
> Openoffice if it is a known offender, but it took so long to compile
> with Java that I would hate to give up on it now.

OpenOffice is definitely failing to rebuild on your system, but
there's nothing "known" about that in general; it built fine on my
5-STABLE system last I tried.  I am in the process of moving over to
OpenOffice 2.0 anyway.

>     As I mentioned above, I cvsup'd my source/ports and ran
> 'portupgrade -a' about half a dozen times to see if the situation
> would correct itself.  Should I just continue with the portupgrades or
> is there something that I should address first?

How serious a problem is it causing you?