Implementing software licensing in FreeBSD

Jonathon McKitrick jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
Wed Oct 12 03:42:45 PDT 2005

Setting aside opinions on copy protection and licensing, suppose I wanted to
implement such a scheme.

The key itself might be a network license, or an encrypted file containing
license info and system-specific info.  But the real issue is how to protect
the code that accesses the key.  I know that 'wrappers' don't have much of an
application in Unix, and are actually impractical.  But what techniques could
be implemented within a library or archive that would make it difficult for
someone to trace the algorithm and/or make changes to the code to remove the
protection checks?

jm