mini kernel

backdoc fbsd at usmstudent.com
Tue Oct 11 19:27:46 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 11 October 2005 2:56 am, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> fbsd at usmstudent.com wrote:
> > I'm trying to follow the instructions on the backup-basics page to create
> > a kernel.  And, the mini kernel config isn't working for me.
>
> Can you please explain what you do and what happens (output,etc)? If you
> dont provide enough information about the problem, hardly anyone is
> going to spend time trying to guess what the problem is, and how to fix it.

Sure.  I can go into more detail about the problems I am having with the mini
kernel example provided on the backup-basics page.  But, you might have
missed the point of my question.  I was not trying to get help on fixing that
problem.  I was simply looking for an example config that I could copy.  I
was only mentioning the source of the problem because I thought it might be
helpful to know why I was looking for a mini kernel.

Here's the problems with the mini config I found online at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/backup-basics.html

I tried running /usr/sbin/config on it.  And, config complained about 3 or 4
lines.  Each time I that encountered that problem, I copied the corresponding
line from my GENERIC kernel.  Eventually, it configured.  So, I changed
directories to the /usr/src/sys/compile/MINI directory and ran "make depend".
This craps out with the following error (hand typing this because I'm on
another box):

==> accf_data
"/usr/share/mk/bsd.man.mk", line 53: bsd.man.mk cannot be included directly.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/MINI