AaaarrrGGGH. linuxpluginrapper and linux-mozilla.

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Oct 11 13:20:40 PDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 09:55:02PM +0400, Andrew P. wrote:
> On 10/11/05, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
> >         kldstat says that I have the linux stuff builtin.  Thanks
> >         for your help; I'm de-/re-installing linux_base-8.  Should
> >         be interesting.
> >

> Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.
>
> >         <SOAPBOX>
> >         The default of having these compat files installed in /usr
> >         rather than in /usr/local should probably be re-thought.
> >         I look for (most) ports in /usr/local.  [A lot of the GUI
> >         suite are in /usr/X11R6/* tho.]  hAving things symlinked
> >         shouldn't use up too many inodes.
> >         </SOAPBOX>
> >

> Maybe you should reread hier(7) manpage. Personally
> I honestly think that FreeBSD's directory layout is the
> most carefully thought through one of all. You can't
> symlink binary files from /usr/X11R6 to /compat/linux
> /usr/X11R6, because they are in different binary formats.

	I would ln -s /compat/linux /usr/local
	so that people whp expect "ports" to install in
	/usr/local find the linux stuff there.  Same thing
	for /usr/X11R6/* to /usr/local/*.  The latter was
	dicusses ery brieflly several weeks ago.  ....

> Also, please note that /usr/compat is just a temporary
> solution, which exists until everybody recognizes the
> total superiority of FreeBSD to other systems. 6.0
> is starting the countdown towards FreeBSD 6.6.6,
> which will conquer the world :-)

	AMEN, brother!!  (Wasn't 666 found to really be 626?)
	Oh, whatever....

	-g

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix