encrypted file sharing bsd<-->winxp/2k3

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Oct 11 08:24:59 PDT 2005

mdff wrote:

>>>thx for the hint, but we don't want VPN/tunnels/ipsec
>>>solutions for this.
>>
>>would you mind explaining why not?
>>
>>(I was going ot suggest SSH forwarding and then your protocol
>>of choice,
>>but that is a tunnel ).
>>

> because one user being authenticated on the windows client
> should be able to connect to another network share without
> needing to always startup a ipsec-connection,

I _think_ that with windows all you have to do is tell the domain to run
on ipsec, and once you have the certs installed it's all ready to be used.

> authenticate
> and re-map the drive (necessary because sometimes windows
> does not re-map the drive automatically).

still beats me why people insist in using drive letters. a) as you say,
when or why they work or dont (their mapping i mean) is another of MS
voodoo things; b) why restrict yourself to so few connections ; c) using
\\servername\share (or domainanme\\share\ in AD) would be better

Shares published via AD is much better - it just works. browse to the
server. Anyway, i digress :)

> technically the solution would fit, but the admin overhead
> would be too much.

understood :) webdav/ssl sounds like a good idea, as per Andrew Gould's
email.

Beto