encrypted file sharing bsd<-->winxp/2k3

mdff nospam at mgedv.net
Tue Oct 11 06:52:41 PDT 2005

> >>VPN is probably your choice. Check out OpenVPN
> >>(http://openvpn.net/) for a portable and relatively
> >>easy-to-setup solution.
> >

> > thx for the hint, but we don't want VPN/tunnels/ipsec
> > solutions for this.
>
> would you mind explaining why not?
>
> (I was going ot suggest SSH forwarding and then your protocol
> of choice,
> but that is a tunnel ).

because one user being authenticated on the windows client
should be able to connect to another network share without
needing to always startup a ipsec-connection, authenticate
and re-map the drive (necessary because sometimes windows
does not re-map the drive automatically). also, the admin-
needs for vpn-host-client connections is much more, what
we can't offer to the customer.
technically the solution would fit, but the admin overhead
would be too much.