Happy Hacking keyboard, Emacs, and meta

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Mon Oct 10 10:10:29 PDT 2005

On Sunday 09 October 2005 16:41, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> I have an older PS2 Happy Hacking Lite Keyboard (love it!), but I'm
> getting reacquainted with Emacs and one aspect of the keyboard is driving
> me nuts: I can't seem to get the diamond keys (like "Windows keys") to
> send only Meta to Emacs.

Egad.  I just realized I have almost the exact same problem on a different
PC with a plain Dell 104-key keyboard: C-h k "alt a" returns "A-a is
undefined", while C-h k "windows a" returns "H-M-s-a is undefined".

Since the two keyboards have the alt and "extra" keys in opposite positions,
I think I'm going to have to pick which order I'm going to map them both
two and redefine my keyboard shortcuts to use the common mapping.  Ugh.
This is turning into more of a project than I'd initially wanted to
tackle.  :-/
--
Kirk Strauser