FireFox/Mozilla and CUPS/LPD weirdness

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
Mon Oct 10 07:48:34 PDT 2005

Warren Block wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, O. Hartmann wrote:
>
>> On our servers w e do not use CUPS, still LPD. How to configure
>> Firefox/Mozilla using LPD instead of CUPS? How to avoid this blind
>> preconfiguration being used via the ports collection?
>

> In the Mozilla Print menu, select Print To: Printer, Printer:
> Postscript/Default.  Then in Properties enter your print command.  For
> my lpd setup with a queue called "laser", I use:
>
> lpr -Plaser
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

Thanks,
but it isn't necessary changing the printing command. MOZ_PRINTER_NAME
is unset in the default config and printing without an explicitely named
printer should always target 'lp', if set. Our printer setup runs now
for several years without problems - without CUPS. The problem seems to
a null-set

print.printer_list

Seting this string to "lp some-other-lp-name" solves the problem,
firefox/mozilla prints via lpd as expected and not connecting a mutual
cups service as recognized.

Oliver