distcc and cross-compiling for FreeBSD on Linux/Solaris

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Mon Oct 10 07:37:45 PDT 2005

Andrew P. wrote:
> We've got some mostly idle, but powerful sparc64
> servers running Solaris 9/10, as well as a host of
> Linux servers (x86 and x86_64). Of course, all the
> real work is done on a pack of FreeBSD boxes :-)
>
> Some days ago I started using ccache and distcc,
> and I really love these tools. Now I want to get the
> Solaris and Linux servers to do something useful
> and compile world, kernels and ports for the
> FreeBSD boxes. Is there a somewhat
> comprehensive guide to this? Can somebody
> share his experience with me? I'm now looking
> into crosstool how-to's, but I have no knowledge
> of gcc intrinsics, and some points are very hard
> for me to understand.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew P.

Have you looked at
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/projects/other/distcc-31.0.81/linuxdoc/html/distcc-5.html
It hints that you need to install a gcc that was built for your target
system on all machines that you're using.  I think distcc handles
library inconsitencies for you (at least it claims that you need not
have the same libraries installed on all machines).

HTH,
Micah