FreeBSD on Subversion : (was Re: Subversion on FreeBSD?)

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Mon Oct 10 06:10:16 PDT 2005

Ashley Moran wrote:
> Yuan Jue wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Is there a subversion system for FreeBSD sourcecode? Or there is only
>> CVS to control the source code? Does that mean that subversion is not
>> stable enough to take this big job?
>>

> If you were evaluating Subversion then it is stable enough to handle big
> projects.  Off the top of my head, Samba and several Apache projects use
> Subversion.  I think what stops most people switching to it is usually
> the migration rather than the package ourself.  When we migrated from
> Visual Source Shredder to SVN we gave up and abandoned the history (just
> re-imported the files), but for some projects that might not be viable.

I just finished migrating our (small, miniscule compared to FBSD's CVS)
repository from cvs to svn and it went without a hitch. *MUCH* simpler
and faster than vss to svn. (vss->svn: managed to import the history
though with some issues with new lines (win32 to win32 conversion, so no
idea what was the problem).). Maybe because cvs2svn is in Python and
vss2svn is a Perl beast?

Anyway, is anyone interested in porting (or having it ported) the cvs
repository to svn? maybe running both in paralell (cvs rw, svn ro, i
figure).

what amount of traffic would be expected for this kind of svn server?

best,