distcc and cross-compiling for FreeBSD on Linux/Solaris

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 02:34:36 PDT 2005

We've got some mostly idle, but powerful sparc64
servers running Solaris 9/10, as well as a host of
Linux servers (x86 and x86_64). Of course, all the
real work is done on a pack of FreeBSD boxes :-)

Some days ago I started using ccache and distcc,
and I really love these tools. Now I want to get the
Solaris and Linux servers to do something useful
and compile world, kernels and ports for the
FreeBSD boxes. Is there a somewhat
comprehensive guide to this? Can somebody
share his experience with me? I'm now looking
into crosstool how-to's, but I have no knowledge
of gcc intrinsics, and some points are very hard
for me to understand.

Thanks,
Andrew P.