booting original kernel

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Sun Oct 9 16:20:16 PDT 2005

Siriphan Brigder wrote:
> This page from the handbook will hopefully help you:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-troub
> le.html
>
> Good luck!

 From the sounds of it, when you compiled your second kernel your
kernel.old (the original generic kernel) was overwritten by your broken
kernel leaving you with two broken kernels and no working kernels to
boot from.  If that's what happened you either need to reinstall FreeBSD
or boot the install/rescue cd and try to copy the generic kernel from it.

That handbook page has a lot of good information, but most of it is
preventative.  The best suggestion is to always keep a working copy of
the kernel seperate from the kernel.old that FreeBSD makes for you.

HTH
Micah