rt "client denied by server configuration"

Mike Friedman mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Oct 9 10:33:11 PDT 2005

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 at 14:17 (+0200), John Oxley wrote:

> I'm trying to install rt on FreeBSD 5.4 with Apache 2.  I have installed
> the port, and configured it.  I have also setup Apache like this:

> Apache starts okay, but when I go to http://rt.yoafrica.com/ the page
> says:
> Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access / on this server.
> Apache/2.0.54 (FreeBSD) PHP/4.3.11 mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 Server at rt.yoafrica.com Port 80
>
> and in /var/log/httpd/rt-error_log there is:
>
> [Sun Oct 09 14:18:18 2005] [error] [client 196.44.177.50] client denied by server configuration: /usr/local/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fgci
> [Sun Oct 09 14:18:18 2005] [error] [client 196.44.177.50] client denied by server configuration: /usr/local/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fgci
>
> Does anyone know what I am doing wrong ?

John,

This is not a FreeBSD problem;  it's really an Apache config issue,
assuming you're having the same problem I had using the same RT install
environment as yours.

In your httpd.conf, see if the following appears:

  <Directory />
      AllowOverride None
      Order Deny,Allow
      Deny from all
  </Directory>

If so, then comment out (or remove) the 'Deny from all' directive, which
is causing very strict default access control for the DocumentRoot
directory.  (If you choose, you can always define your own Allow, Order
and Deny directives for particular directories in your virtual home).

At least this was the source of my symptoms, which were the same as yours.

Mike

Mike Friedman                   System and Network Security
mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU          2484 Shattuck Avenue
1-510-642-1410                  University of California at Berkeley
http://ack.Berkeley.EDU/~mikef  http://security.berkeley.edu