Cheap Hardware for Home Network

Live-Wire livewire at echotrace.com
Sun Oct 9 02:18:48 PDT 2005

I'm building a new box specifically do take care of a lot of things on
my home network; dns, qmail,
apache, sftp, printer server, a fileserver, etc. Some of the services,
like apache, will also be exposed to
the internet, but only for the use of friends and family. And most
important, I'm doing this all on the cheap -
for less than$600 (and the less, the better). I was wondering what sort
of hardware setups people could
recommend? Priceis the #1 consideration, followed by reliability, then
speed. But that doesn't mean
I want to neglect the latter two- what sort of specs should I be
shooting for? What is necessary for the kind
of activities I want to do.

I'm hellbent on AMD, and the Sempron 3100+ (754) is looking pretty
sharp. I have a GeForce4 Ti 4600 lying
around that I can stick in, but because I want to use 2 SATA 150
hardrives in RAID 1, finding an AGP 4X
mobo with 754 and SATA w/ RAID 1 is neigh impossible. So it looks like
my best bet is to find
a mobo with onboard gigabit ethernet, video, and sound (only the first
of which is important), but that still
limits me apropos the 754 cpu and the SATA.

So again, this is a nice opportunity to buy hardware specifically
tailored for what I am using it for - I have zero
concern for expandability. What is the best fit?

Thanks -
JNK