Samba or something more lightweight ...

Kees Plonsz kees at jeremino.homeunix.net
Sat Oct 8 14:11:20 PDT 2005

On Saturday 08 October 2005 22:39, Kiffin Gish wrote:
> I want to be able to access other Windows machines on my home network,
> e.g. exchange files back and forth using shared folders.
>
> Do I need to install Samba or is there another more lightweight
> alternative?
>
> Thanks alot in advance?

If you want to access shared folders on a window-machine,
you can use "mount_smbfs" wich is standard situated in /usr/sbin directory.

If you want your freebsd machine look like a window-machine
with shared folders, then you can use samba.
It is not that heavy_weight as you think. It's easy to install (as a package)
and has a nice web-interface for configuring.