tunefs problem

Kees Plonsz kees at jeremino.homeunix.net
Sat Oct 8 07:44:35 PDT 2005

On Saturday 08 October 2005 16:02, Gunter Wambaugh wrote:
> Look at the output from fsck.  It very clearly tells you that it
> found problems, but didn't fix them (probably because the partition
> is mounted).  Notice the following lines:
> ** /dev/ad2s1a (NO WRITE)
> and
> CLEAR? no
>
> Boot to single user mode and try it again.
>
> Also, if you add fsck_y_enable="YES" to rc.conf these should be fixed
> automatically at boot (IIRC).
>
> HTH
>
> On Oct 8, 2005, at 2:32 AM, Sasa Stupar wrote:

It is not fsck that is cousing the trouble but tunefs itself.

From the man-page you can read:

  The tunefs utility cannot be run on an active file system.
  To change an active file system, it must
  be downgraded to read-only or unmounted.

So to change the / partition with tunefs, you have to run
another system wich is not using that / partition.
( for instance with the fix-it cdrom )
Or you can, as the manual says, mount it read-only.
I never tried that, but maybe it will work.