disk errors help!!

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Fri Oct 7 19:29:25 PDT 2005

On Friday 7 October 2005 01:55, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
> My freebsd 4.11 system has been subjected to a power failure and seems
> to have many disk errors something about soft updates and not being able
> to read certain sectors it comes up with the standard single user pick
> your shell command and tells me to run fsck manually.  I have run it
> several times but the system keeps comming with ad0s4 marked dirty which
> is my /usr partition.

Doesn't it go all through the list (everyting should be - if recoverable - in
lost+found after you answered "Y" to everything that you think would be
important). If you have to reboot all the time at this stage already uhm
you're doing bad.

> Sometimes i get a resetting device ata0 timeout
> error.

Most important info. Your drive is dying. Might be fast or slow but it is
going. Switch to mayhem mode.

> What should i do of course i have no current backups for this
> system and the most important thing is retrieving my users data it would
> be great if i could get the system to boot up but if i have to reinstall
> no biggy as long as i can get most of my data back.

Stop rebooting, save the drive or what's left of it, put it into another box
and try to salvage your data from there. Get it out of that box. You never
know if its solely a disk issue or perhaps a south bridge that cracked or
what have you. Stop booting it.

> ps  i promise to do remote backups nightly for the rest of my life.

Oh well. Real men and all that :)

Just my NSHO,

Dan