xine / kaffeine core dumps with bus error

Ian Moore no-spam at swiftdsl.com.au
Fri Oct 7 17:13:34 PDT 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 18:34, you wrote:

> I have the same problem, but I used gdb. I figured I had to learn how to
> use it sooner or later and had nothing else on my hands yesterday
> afternoon, so...
>
> Anyway, what you can try is open a terminal window and do the following:
>
> tijl at kalimero ~% gdb
> (gdb) file xine
> Reading symbols from xine...done.
> (gdb) r
> Starting program: /usr/X11R6/bin/xine
> This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.4.
> (c) 2000-2004 The xine Team.

To do this, I need to use a kernel build with debugging turned on - correct?
I guess it's time I learnt how to do this stuff too, so perhaps I'll give it a
go next week when I have some time. I can always keep the debug kernel around
for doing this then & just boot with it when necessary.

> As you can see, xineplug_dmx_audio.so is the last plugin loaded before
> the SIGBUS. Simply removing that file did the trick for me. However,
> I'm not sure whether there's really a problem with that plugin. The
> problem could be more fundamental and is perhaps only triggered by that
> plugin...

Perhaps I'll find something different when I do it, since my problem doesn't
appear to be related to the plugins.

Cheers,
--
Ian