How can I programatically eject a live cd?

Philip Hallstrom freebsd at philip.pjkh.com
Fri Oct 7 15:01:44 PDT 2005

Hi all -

I've built a live CDROM based off of the cdroot package and 4.x.  It's
designed to be popped into a machine, wipe the hard drive, install a
custom image, and that's it.

Everything works great with one exception.

I would *love* to be able to have the CDROM automatically eject when it's
finished (and/or shutdown).  This way a user could power on a headless
box, pop in the cd, reboot, let it's do it's thing and know it was done
when the CDROM ejected.

I know the drives can do it because I've seen some other CD's (most recent
a seagate disk utility) do it.

But the closest I can come is:

cdcontrol -f acd0 eject

and then I can press the eject button and it will eject.

This is fine for me, but I don't want the people doing this to have to
know to wait for the disk lights to stop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-philip