NET_SendPacket ERROR: No buffer space available problem

Mihai Tanasescu mihai.tanasescu at mediasat.ro
Fri Oct 7 12:23:12 PDT 2005

Hello,

I've just installed a 5.4 STABLE - Release freebsd machine and have
setup a counter-strike server on it.

Now I'm constantly seeing things like this in my server logs:
NET_SendPacket ERROR: No buffer space available

I have stumbled upon a thread on a forum that was telling me to increase:
net.inet.udp.maxdgram=57344
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=8388608
net.inet.udp.recvspace=84160

So I have done this, but I still get that error.

Another forum was telling me to look at the output netstat -m generates:
4294743666 mbufs in use
6235/25600 mbuf clusters in use (current/max)
0/4/6656 sfbufs in use (current/peak/max)
4150866 KBytes allocated to network
0 requests for sfbufs denied
0 requests for sfbufs delayed
0 requests for I/O initiated by sendfile
200 calls to protocol drain routines

but as far as I see I only have 6235 out of 25600 mbufs used.

Has anyone ever stumbled upon this problem and if so do you have a
solution for it ?

Thanks,
Mihai