Fwd: Re: Problem upon upgrade ...

Aleksandar Kacanski kacanski at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 7 08:12:06 PDT 2005

/dev/console problem :
I found a bit more on this issue.
/var/log/messages:
Oct  7 10:42:14 nyfbsds01 kernel: Mounting root from
ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
Oct  7 10:42:16 nyfbsds01 init: can't get /dev/console for
controlling terminal: Operation not permitted
Oct  7 10:42:46 nyfbsds01 init: can't get /dev/console for
controlling terminal: Operation not permitted
Oct  7 10:44:46 nyfbsds01 last message repeated 4 times
Oct  7 10:53:17 nyfbsds01 last message repeated 17 times

still after couple of minutes, KDM pops up and I am in.
ls -l /dev/console
crw-------  1 sasha  wheel    0,   0 Oct  7 11:02
/dev/console

Why does it takes 21 times to get KDE to start?
I am able to CTRL-ALT-F1 to virtual console and log in as
root or ordinary user form KDE.

thanks,
/s