FreeBSD FD_SETSIZE

Tamouh H. hakmi at rogers.com
Thu Oct 6 22:26:32 PDT 2005

Hi!

I'm having problems resolving FD_SETSIZE issues with FreeBSD 5.4 and Apache.
This error always continues:

====
[Thu Oct 6 14:51:31 2005] [warn] send body: filedescriptor (1367) larger
than FD_SETSIZE (1024) found, you probably need to rebuild Apache with a
larger FD_SETSIZE
====

I did re-compile apache (we made sure FD_SETSIZE is enabled)

however, the problem still occurs. so I modified
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl and added :

ulimit -n 16480
also in
/etc/init.d/httpd

But the same problem continues, it is happening much less than before, but
we continue to see it.

Doing
<?PHP echo `ulimit -n`; ?> shows: 11095

How else would we need to increase the FD_SETSIZE on FreeBSD 5 ?

I read somewhere there is also need to change it at:
/usr/include/sys/select.h ?

This requires recompiling Kernel, correct ? How about adding this to the
FBSD kernel:
options FD_SETSIZE nnn as suggested in Apache FAQ:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mi...freebsd-setsize

Also it appears there are different places the FD_SETSIZE need to be changed
as per:
http://apache.active-venture.com/descriptors.html

I couldn't find good resources about FD_SETSIZE or tuning FreeBSD for large
sites except to:

<http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.nxhack.tarum
i.kobe.jp/FreeBSD_kernel_tuning.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfd_setsize%2Bfreebsd
%2Bkernel%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DDVXA,DVXA:2005-06,DVXA:en>

Any input or experiences with these are welcomed.

Thanks!

Tamouh