disk errors help!!

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN luck at computerking.ca
Thu Oct 6 18:55:07 PDT 2005

My freebsd 4.11 system has been subjected to a power failure and seems
to have many disk errors something about soft updates and not being able
to read certain sectors it comes up with the standard single user pick
your shell command and tells me to run fsck manually.  I have run it
several times but the system keeps comming with ad0s4 marked dirty which
is my /usr partition.  Sometimes i get a resetting device ata0 timeout
error.  What should i do of course i have no current backups for this
system and the most important thing is retrieving my users data it would
be great if i could get the system to boot up but if i have to reinstall
no biggy as long as i can get most of my data back.

ps  i promise to do remote backups nightly for the rest of my life.

--
Computer King/CaNMail

http://www.computerking.ca     http://www.canmail.org

Sales, Service, and Hosting
Email, Data, and Web Packages
Ask about web design specials

Affiliates
http://www.computerking.ca/pages/links/affiliates/affiliates.htm

--

If you eat a live frog in the morning, nothing worse will happen to either of you for the rest of the day.