vsftpd watch problem

Joe S js.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 13:00:09 PDT 2005

Yuan Jue wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Here is a pragmatic problem. I used vsftpd to setup a ftp server. And as a
> result, some guys start to download something from my ftp server. I do want
> to know the downloader's IP and the speed he/she download from me, just as a
> status-watching for my notebook.
>
> Can anyone give me some clue how to do this stuff? Using vsftpd itself or
> using some freebsd utilities are both acceptable. I appreciate any
> suggestions.

...this is not really a "pragmatic" problem. You are using an FTP server
that aims to be simple and light. VSFTPD does not have any tools to
provide you with usage, to my knowledge.

* ProFTPD, on the other hand, has utility programs (ftpwho, ftpcount,
ftptop) that read the scoreboard and display the information you are
looking for. Security record of PROFTPD:
http://secunia.com/search/?search=proftpd

* PureFTPD has a utility (pure-ftpwho) that will also display the
information you are looking for. Security record of PUREFTPD:
http://secunia.com/search/?search=pureftpd

HTH.