Restoring Data from a DD image

Gayn Winters gayn.winters at bristolsystems.com
Thu Oct 6 12:05:18 PDT 2005

I'm a little confused:

Did you try to copy (dd) the old disk before you did a new install?
If so, to where?

Is /dev/ad0 your new disk with the fresh 4.9 installation on ad0s1? Or
did you just add a new disk as /dev/ad1 and did the fresh install on
ad1s1?

Is your unmounted old disk /dev/ad0 or /dev/ad1 now?

I'm guessing that ad1 is your new install, ad0 is not mounted, and you
were able to copy ad0s1e to oldimag.dmg with the above dd command.  If
so, continue. If not, send a correction.

Why not try
   mount -r -t ufs /usr/olddsk/oldimag.dmg /mnt
   cd /mnt
   ls

I ***think*** mount will do this.  If not, try dd'ing oldimag.dmg to a
spare slice, e.g. if you created /tmp as /dev/ad1s1e, then you could
   dd if=/usr/olddsk/oldimag.dmg of=/dev/ad1s1e
   cd /tmp
   ls

Good luck!

-gayn