burning multisession cd's and bootable windows isos

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Oct 6 10:00:53 PDT 2005

"Dave" <dmehler26 at woh.rr.com> writes:

> Hello,
> I've got two questions on burning cdr/cdrw disks. I'm using freebsd
> 5.4-p6 and using cdrtools for cdr/rw and dvd+rw-tools for dvdr/rw
> burning.
>     My first question has to do with multisession disk burning, burn
> some, take it out, go back later and write more to the disk until it's
> full. I've not been able to make this work with either cd's or dvd's
> and would appreciate a tutorial or howto on multisession burning.

>From my crib sheet:

  for cdrecord:

  dv=/dev/acd0
  export CDR_DEVICE=1,0,0
  filenames=be-well.`date "+%y%m%d"`*

  # first session
  mkisofs -R $filenames |cdrecord -v driveropts=burnfree -multi -data -tao -

  #other sessions
  OFST=`cdrecord -msinfo`
  echo $OFST
  mkisofs -M $dv -C $OFST -R $filenames |cdrecord -v driveropts=burnfree -tao -multi -data -

Season to taste.

>     My second question regards burning a windows xp disk under
> bsd. I've got one, a vanilla xp pro disk and i want to slipstream
> it. I copy the files from the disk to my windows hard disk, slipstream
> them with servicepack two plus some additional hardware drivers, now
> i've got an xpsp2+drivers installation tree. I copy that over to a
> network share, log on to my bsd machine, and i have no idea on how to
> use mkisofs to make a bootable iso to burn to disk. I've tried just
> making an iso of the installtree and burning that with cdrecord, made
> some coasters that's about it. My goal is to have a bootable disk thag
> acts just like the original vanilla xp disk, boots right in to the
> install and so forth.

Have you tried just copying the filesystem image, instead of the
files?  [But make sure you get all of the tracks, if there are more
than one.]