Hidden spot on hard drives?

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Thu Oct 6 09:22:48 PDT 2005

Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> writes:

> Where does HPA(Host protected Area) sit in all this? is this the
> 'boot sector' trick?

I don't know.  I just heard that some computer makers are somehow
reserving as much as half the HDD for a full copy of the OS to recover
from when the normal one trips over itself.  I'm guessing that this has
more to do with MSFT licensing terms than with saving a buck from not
including a CDROM.  I wonder if there's some low-level way to tell a
modern disk drive where you want "sector 0" to start.