Setting mount_nfs options in /etc/fstab

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Oct 6 08:25:47 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:10:14AM -0500, Doug Poland wrote:
> Here's an fstab entry of mine for an nfs mount.
>
> fs:/data		/data	nfs	-3,-R=3,-b,-i,-s,-r=32768,-w=32768,rw	0	0
>
> Your options and milage may vary...

That works for me, thank you. Perhaps the fstab(5) page could be clearer
then. It says:

     The fourth field, (fs_mntops), describes the mount options associated
     with the file system.  It is formatted as a comma separated list of
     options.  It contains at least the type of mount (see fs_type below) plus
     any additional options appropriate to the file system type.  See the
     options flag (-o) in the mount(8) page and the file system specific page,
     such as mount_nfs(8), for additional options that may be specified.

and also later:

     struct fstab {
             char    *fs_spec;       /* block special device name */
             char    *fs_file;       /* file system path prefix */
             char    *fs_vfstype;    /* File system type, ufs, nfs */
             char    *fs_mntops;     /* Mount options ala -o */     <<<<<<<
             char    *fs_type;       /* FSTAB_* from fs_mntops */
             int     fs_freq;        /* dump frequency, in days */
             int     fs_passno;      /* pass number on parallel fsck */
     };

When I read this, the implication to me was that only options which you
could pass using -o to mount or mount_nfs were permitted.

Cheers,

Brian.